Research Paper Reflections

Yay! You are done with the research mega-paper! This is a cause for celebration.

In times like these, it is also good for you to reflect on what you did well, and what you would do better if you had the chance to do this again. I would like to start next year’s research paper process by showing students your comments to the following two questions. As someone who just completed the project, you should be able to provide a detailed expert opinion.

Please respond to the following two questions with regard to the research paper you have just completed. You may number your responses.

1. Was the paper as difficult as you thought it would be?

2. If you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do differently to be even more successful?

109 Comments »

1. Derek Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:56 am

The overall paper wasn’t that bad. There were a few things I struggled with but it wasn’t that hard to put it all together. If I had the chance to redo it, I would have spent more time looking for info instead of messing around on facebook. I also would have liked to manage my time better instead of cramming a few days worth of work into a few hours.

• Jacqueline Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:01 pm

1. Was the paper as difficult as you thought it would be?
      2. if you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do differently to be even more successful?
      When we started to work on the papers, it wasn’t as hard as it seemed to be. At first you thought it would be hard, but after working on the paper for a while, the paper got easier. I was able to work on it easier because I focused. If you focused while working on the paper, the research was easier. I saw people in class who goofing off and doing nothing. They had a hard time doing their research. But the people who focused on their paper were able to turn the paper in early and finish early.

2. Isabella Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:56 am

I believe that the research paper was a challenge for me, but I think I needed something like this to help increase my skills as a writer. I would have to say that this paper was as difficult as I thought it would be. But once I began to work on it, the process became easier and easier, and I stopped stressing so much about it. When I first received the packet, it seemed like there was going to be a lot of stuff to do, and only one month to do it. But once we began to establish check points, and slowly went through the entire packet, time just seemed to fly by. I think that the hardest part was just deciding what the paragraphs were going to include, and writing the paper. Other than that, it wasn’t all that bad. It was very intimidating in the beginning, but I am very happy with how things turned out.
    If I had to do this project over again, I think I would’ve maybe used more primary resources. I couldn’t really find a lot, but I think that using more of them would have definitely made my paper better. I also wanted to add in at least one paragraph on John Brown’s life, or his personal information. John Brown was a very interesting man when he wasn’t fighting the South. I do not know whether that paragraph would’ve made my paper better, or if it would’ve seemed off-topic, so I decided to leave it out. Other than those changes, I really enjoyed the whole process of creating my research paper, and I am thoroughly happy with the product.

• Kate Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:02 am

GREAT!
      I would have to agree with you on the part of using more primary sources for my paper. That and what you said about the packet and how you thought it was going to take a while. I pretty much would have to agree with everything you said in the first response because that happened with me too! I can’t really have a comment on the stuff you said about John Brown because I didn’t do him! Good response though. I hadn’t thought of some of those ideas.
      -Katie K

3. Kate Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:56 am

1) The paper was not as bad as I thought it would be. This was because I had chosen a topic that interested me and that I was fairly confident that I could do good research in. I did a report on how Civil War spying effected the outcome of some major batttles and how they did what they accomplished with the little technology they had. I was a little overwhelmed when Mr. Stewart gave us the pacets because I didn’t exactly know what they wanted in ways of responding to the index cards and the outlines that we had to do. I was most stressed when we had to take our note cards and type them into our rough drafts.

2) If I could do this project over again, I would have spent a little more time getting better research and varying my sources so it didn’t seem like I was just taking information right out of a book and putting it into my paper. The peer editing proces was a little weird and I would have done it a little more independently so that we the students could decide when to stop reading the papers and discuss because some people’s papers were really long and took longer than the alotted time to read while others seemed very short and easy to read so the editor would just sit there awkwardly waiting for the other peer to finish reading their paper. I also would have just worked on my rough draft in class more so I wasn’t struggling to have it done the night before at around 11:30 at night.

Overall, I really liked the research process of the paper and the note cards but could have done a little better on time management.

• Isabella Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:02 am

I really agree with what you said about the peer editing process! I think it would have been a lot better if we could have just had 2 hours of class time, and spent it reading editing each other’s papers, instead of having certain check-in points and only having 5 minutes to read 6 page stories. If we could have just used the time given, the way we wanted to use it, it would’ve made the peer editing process much more enjoyable.

4. Devynn Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:57 am

This paper was set in two parts. Each of them I felt differently of. The research part was harder than I thought it would be. I had trouble finding sources on my topic and I procrastinated a lot thinking it is too hard right now. I9f I could go back and do it again I would not have kept putting off this assignment. It became stressful to finish and also other homework assigned was just as stressful. The actual paper part was much easier to write than I thought it would be. I found that I was pretty good at organizing my thoughts into paragraphs. If I could do it again I would have done more editing. Overall this was much easier than I originally thought it would be.

5. Schultz, Caleb Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:58 am

1. No, I was really freaked out that it would be to much for me and that I wouldn’t be able to turn it in on time, but i got all my information and it turn out to be much easier than i thought it would be.

2. Well since I, like many others was doing Battlefield Technologies, I had to make my paper unique. In order to do this I decided to make a section about spies and information gathering. I denfinitely could have lengthed that section much more

6. Grace Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:59 am

At first I thought the paper would be way harder then I made it out to be. When there’s a lot of information to work with everything just seems to put itself in place. The only hard part for me was the research after that my notecards told me everything I needed to know. Once the note card were in order I just had to put it into the paper.
    If I could go back and do this paper again I would defiantly try and put a lot more quotes into it. Also I would have gone and see if I could made my paper less one sided and make my points more clear.

7. Carsen Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:59 am

1. While it did take time it was not that hard. Since we did the research and note cards it was easy to think of topics and word choices. One think that was a little hard was the research because it took a while. Also you couldn’t be positive if the facts were true or not.

2. I would take more time on the research and the ending. I kind of rushed on the ending to get it over with. With the research I could have looked at more sites and gone slower.

8. Aubrianna Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:59 am

1. the research paper was way easier than expected. it was pretty easy.
    2. if i had the chance to do it over again i would do nothing diffrent. i am happy with what i did and thats pretty much it.

9. Nick Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:00 am

The paper looks very daunting at first and then when you finish the not cards you realize how easy the paper really was. I almost had too much information on some topics but at the same time I had to little on others so you need to keep your information strong in all points. After everyone peer edits the paper all you have to do is follow to comments and you have an A paper. Even the formatting is easy. If I could redo my paper I would take more information on my points that needed more support. I would also try doing a really good paragraph every day, instead of writing an O.K. paper then going back and changing things periodically. Writing the paper is easier than I thought and I think that the new 8th Grader will do fine with this paper.

10. Mary Liz Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:01 am

No the paper was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The packet made things seem so chaotic but it was easier than I thought it would be. I was ready and organized to take on the paper and that helped a bit too! If were to do this again I would have asked a teacher to help me with the outline, apparently I didn’t do it right so I got a 50% on it. I was not happy about that. I would also like to do a more specific topic than just Battle Field Medicine I felt I should have done one branch of Battle Field Medicine then it would seem more organized. Other than those things I wouldn’t want to change anything else. I took all the extra credit which would help my grade over all.

11. Alli Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:01 am

When I started the research paper assignment, I thought that it was going to be the hardest paper I have ever written. I am not going to lie, it took a lot of hard work and research, but it wasn’t near as bad as I thought it was going to be. It also helped me learn a lot more about slaves and what they had to deal with. Now that I’m done and looking back on it, it wasn’t as hard as I had expected! If I was going to do it all over again I would definitely change some things. I think that at the beginning, I was kind of afraid to start everything, and for the first couple days of starting it, I was in Utah, so I missed some important information. I started the note cards last minute, which put me in a bad situation because when everyone else was right on track, and I was lacking. I felt like the whole project until the last couple days I was just trying to catch up and keep up with everyone else. So if I were to do it again, I would use my time wisely and not procrastinate or wait till last minute. Also, if I could change anything in how the project was structured, I think I would change the timing of when different things were due. For instance, I would spend less time on the note cards, and more time on writing the paper, because I feel like it was a little rushed. Other than that, the research project was fine, although I’m not going to say if was fun, it wasn’t that bad!

12. Bella Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:02 am

Although this research paper is a huge grade, took about 2, months and overall seemed intimidating, it definitely wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. We had a lot of class time to do our research and Mr. Markham and Mr. Stewart were big helps throughout the whole process. I did my paper on Minstrel Music, in my opinion an easy topic to get good information off of. I think the 6 step method, kept my on track much better than the standard way that we usually do. It kept me more motivated to do little by little, and kept my on track to focus on the upcoming date.

If I could go back and redo the entire process over again, I would change a few things. In the beginning I was on track, and focused. Then as we started to actually write the paper, I started to loose my time management little, by little. Until, one day I had to turn in a portion of my work a day late. That dropped my grade. I did get busy, but I still could have used my time more wisely.

13. Lillian Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:03 am

The research paper wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I think that I did have some trouble getting all the information and citing it. I thought that it was pretty easy getting all the information into the paper and then after you do that you just have to make it sound right. I think next time if I could change anything I would probably spend more time on editing my final paper before I would have turned it in if I would have had time.

14. Britney Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:04 am

When you where first explaining the assignment I thought it was going to be really hard to get all the checkpoints turned in on time. I also thought that doing the extra stuff like note cards and dissected bibliography was going to be difficult to turn in on time, and I also thought it was going to be hard to do. But after the teacher explains how to do the extra help it is much easier. I found that writing the paper was actually a really fun assignment. It was fun to look bad on your progress and get to see how far you have come from when you first got the assignment to when you finished and turned it in. If I had the chance to do it over again I would want to have my mom check it over more, and maybe have a few other peers read over it. I would also want to start my rough draft earlier because when the day you turn it in the get extra credit came a long I had to rush to get it done. Overall I think I managed my time wisely and ended up with a really good paper.

15. Hannah Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:04 am

Honestly I didn’t think the paper was as hard as I imagined it being. When we first received the packet I was scared out of my mind, I thought it was asking way too much and it was just really confusing.. It was hard to push myself to want to get started but then after that it got a lot easier. The due dates given in the packet helped way more than I thought they would. When I first read through all the due dates and checks I thought it was a waist of time and it wouldn’t help at all. I am here to tell you I was completely wrong! The due dates and checks really helped me keep track of everything.

If I had to do this entire process all over again I really don’t think I would want to change anything. I say that because this whole experience wasn’t that difficult, or at least as difficult as I thought it would have been. Although if I were to change one thing it would be something personal. Next time I would spend more time in class working on it because I hardly got anything done in school. It was mostly homework which made it a little bit harder on me.
    ~Hannah S.

16. Austin Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:05 am

First off, I MUST stress that this paper is NOT as scary as it seems. As long as you accept the help you receive from your peers, and get things in on time, you’ll be absolutely fine. We had plenty of time to accomplish the paper (around 2 months-ish), so it was nothing that I had to get stressed about. I mean, two months to write a 3-5 page essay on a topic YOU get to pick and research? How much easier can the teachers make it? If I could go back and change one thing in the process of how I did the paper, I would do the paper in the daytime, while I was awake, instead of late at night.

17. Landon Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:06 am

1.) At first I thought that the paper was difficult because of all the work that had to be done in what seemed as a short amount of time. But then we were able to split up the work and get it done quicker. After that it was easier because I had used my time well.
    2.) If I could redo my paper, I would want to make more revisions because I had a few grammar mistakes. I would also like to word it a little better because I realized s few mistakes when I had turned it in.

18. Jordan Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:07 am

1. In the beginning, the research paper seemed like it was going to be too much to handle, but really it was not that hard at all. Once I had all of my information and resources my Rough draft was pretty much written and then from there the only stage left was editing which was very easy.

2. If I could do it all over again I probably would have not wasted as much time. I still got everything done and turned in on time, but its always good to have things done a couple days before the due date just so you don’t have to worry about finishing it the night before.

19. Keva Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:08 am

1. No not really. It was a little easier then i thought. With the due date packet that had all the planning it really made things go faster. Really listening to adults about what i should do or how i can fix my paper was very helpful.

2. If i could do anything to make my paper better, it would be to chose a different subject. Doing my reshearch on the Black Codes was very hard. It was also hard to find the information because there wasn’t a lot on it so i had to be creative to make a paper.

20. Morse, Jessica Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:09 am

At first I thought it was going to be really easy to write this paper but it turned out it was really hard, I didn’t know all that you had to put into this paper. All of the times in class that we were told to reread our paper and I thought it was worthless to do so, but going back I saw why, it made my paper ten times better. So now I know when we are given time in class to reread our papers to use that time well and in the end it will make my work a lot better.But overall I thought it went really well.

21. Lauren Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:09 am

The research paper I completed was a very difficult assignment to complete. It was more difficult because of the check points we had to use. I like going at my own pace and I feel if we hadn’t used the check points I could have completed the paper easier. I probable would have spent less time editing and revising than we did and spend more time actually writing the rough draft. Also I would have used a different method of note taking and I would have found my research differently. If I had to change this process I would take out the check points and let everyone go at there own pace. I had a hard time keeping up just because I take more time to write than most people and I go at a different pace. I don’t know if this was a problem with most people, but I had a hard time and I think some people could have been more successful if we hadn’t had to get things done at a certain time.

22. Nate Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:10 am

This research paper was not difficult compared to other papers that I will have to do for classes at Air Academy. Most of the final products of the research paper with the citations, primary sources, cover page, table of contents, glossary were only at the most 10 pages long. I have heard that in high school just the paper alone may have to be 20 pages or something like that. When comparing the amount of work load to that, relatively the research paper wasn’t that much of a burden. When I first looked at the requirements for this project when we were first assigned it seemed immensely hard but then I realized I had plenty of time to research and write the actual paper and piece it all together. The amount of time I had was almost all of 4th quarter so it’s nothing to be stressed about if you pace yourself. The one thing I may have done different is as soon as you’re assigned your topic read a good sized book about the subject or person/s. I started to read a biography on my subject a little too late and I got to only read a fourth of it or so. This ended up working out fine for me since that all the information I needed I attained from that portion of the book. If I had completed reading the whole biography though, writing a strong essay would have been easier. So make sure that you do lots and lots of research so that you don’t have to refer much back to the sources for information otherwise you could end up plagiarizing. Those are some words from the somewhat experienced, hope you find them helpful.

23. Fiona Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:11 am

To me the paper was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The packet was so big and had lots of information and things that we had to include that I thought it would be very hard. I thought that because we had to do research it would be more difficult, but it wasn’t. I also know that my writing skills weren’t the best and I thought I would struggle on that, but it turned out that because it was a research paper it was easier to write. It turned out to be actually quite easy. If I could do it all over again and change some things I definitely would. I would change some of the things I researched about. My topic was a hard thing to research, so I wish I would have researched some different things, to make it more of a variety. I think I should have also tried to find some quotes to put in my paper, that would have made it longer and help with my reasoning. I liked to topic that I chose but picking a different one might have helped my writing. But over all I think I did a good job on my paper.

24. Ryan Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:12 am

During the first week of this assignment everything was kind of thrown at us, there were a lot of dates to remember, things to be aware of and focus hard on not plagiarizing anything. When I first saw the packet I was in a bit of shock because then it kind of dawned on all of that is was gonna be one of the last things we do as 8th graders, and for me that was a little scary. The dissected bibliography, note cards, cover page, quotes, pictures and all that jazz was really overwhelming for my first real research paper. I thought it was gonna be a ton harder that what it was, I was freaked out because of the bibliography, and the note cards.
    The only thing I wish I would have changed or done better was using time management and using time in class better and worked harder to get things done on time. Also I wish I would have done more research on Harriet Tubman to learn more about her life.

25. Ashley D. Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:15 am

For my research paper I choose the Nat Turner revolt. I liked the topic and I got a chance to find a lot of good information that I didn’t know about the Civil War in general and the way life was for slave. For me it was hard having so much general information about my topic but then having to direction all of it into one focus of a sub-topic. For me I didn’t think the paper was going to me that difficult and it wasn’t but I did have a hard time putting everything together in order. If I had to do this paper over again I mostly likely would of chosen a topic that I already knew some information about so I could of add my own input to the paper.

26. Trevor Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:16 am

1: The research paper wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Jugging by all the help I got, the paper was pretty easy. The key to a good assignment is to break things down by piece. Don’t just look at the entire project and get overwhelmed. You have to do small pieces of the paper every night in order to stay on track of it.

2: If I had to do it all over again, I would not stress and break it piece by piece like I did not do for my paper. Another thing I would do is ask for help when I needed help with parts of the paper. If you break this paper down, the whole paper would only be like 30 minutes a day of homework.

27. Lacey Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:20 am

I thought that the paper was not that hard. You have to choose something with a lot of information or something you’re engaged with because if you don’t it well be hard to find information. I know a couple people who picked a harder subject so it was hard to find info on the topic they picked. But for me I picked something I knew, and something I knew it had a lot of info. I was interested in that topic. I liked it and it was a lot more easier then I thought it would be.

I felt like I did pretty well on this. Turning it in on time and getting all I needed done. But what I saw a couple people doing was not doing their raft draft very well they just typed things to turn it in so when it came time to do their final draft they had a lot to do. I know one girl that had to pretty much re-write the whole thing. I would say take time on the rough draft so it’s easier to do your final.

28. Natasha Said,

May 14, 2012@ 10:48 am

Learning about the Civil War research paper that would be counted towards Language Arts and Social Studies, I was petrified and I didn’t even know where to start! I knew we would receive papers like these in high school and that it would be good practice for what we will encounter next year, but that didn’t comfort me when knowing how much time it would take! When we actually started the research, I calmed down and realized that taking notes is not hard and I shouldn’t have been terrified! Finding all seven required sources was a bit tricky, but as long as you keep looking, the right sources will come to you, especially if you are using the data bases and the books provided for you. A tip that I can give to people experimenting with this research process in the future is to always remember your thesis statement! I did research on things that semi-related to my thesis statement but were not direct to my question and point of my essay, so I ended up doing research that wasn’t actually needed for the final product. This initially made me upset, knowing that I did all of that research for nothing. If I were given the opportunity to re-do the paper, I wouldn’t have changed much of what I did to be more successful. Staying on the ball of your thesis statement and managing your time correctly are always great things to keep in mind. Know when your due dates are, and if you’ve finished one portion, go right on to the next! It will keep the load off your shoulders and you won’t even begin to feel stressed. Pick a topic that YOU want to do and what interests you, and the Civil War research paper will be a breeze!

29. Sydney Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:05 am

The research paper definitely was not as hard as I thought it was. I thought Mr. Stewart and Mr. Markham were just assigning a humongous end-of-the-year project that was due in 1 month. I was pleasantly surprised that the research paper had set due dates with enough time to complete the work and not so much excess time that I procrastinated. I think the segments helped me to be more successful in what I did than if I had just been given a topic, a computer, and a library card.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not have procrastinated in class and on the weekends. When I wasted time, I had to do my work in bulk along with homework from my other classes. That much work really stressed me out and I had no one to blame but myself. Also, I would have done my work as early in the day as possible. When you stay up late to do work you are losing energy and focus. You tend to be less cautious and make frequent petty mistakes that you would have noticed if you had the energy.

30. Caroline Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:05 am

In my opinion the research paper was difficult. But the teachers (Mr. Markham and Mr. Stewart) did a good job of being there for support, and help if you got stuck. The paper its self was easy to type because I already had my information, and all I really needed to do was put it in my paper. I’m glad there was check points, because it made it easier to get my research organized and completed on time. I’m glad that we got to have this report because it might really help when I’m in high school. I would not do the paper all over again because I’m happy with the grade I got, and it is a lot of work. I did have great success because of the teachers and how they helped me write and edit my paper.

31. Mary S Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:08 am

In my opinion the research paper came easily at some parts, but in others I had a difficult time. Once I did all the research it was simply placing it into paragraphs and writing out some ideas. At other parts during the process it was a little difficult like finding words to put in my glossary, or making sure the site I was looking at had correct information.
    If I had a chance to do my paper again I would probably put in more of my own ideas. I would also reread it a few more times just to edit a little more. I happy we did the research paper while in middle school so I would know how to do on when I got to high school. I also found it kind of fun researching and finding out all about this topic.
    My tips of what to do when starting this paper would be to do a ton of research. Mostly because you have to write 3-5 pages of a topic, and if you don’t have enough paper you won’t reach that 3 page mark. It is better to have more research then you need then not enough. Also having more research will make actually writing out the paper really easy because all you do is put in the information then put in some catchy phrases. Overall I found doing this research paper really helpful for going into high school.

32. Cameron Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:09 am

This paper was very long and I spent more tie on it than any other project but all of those little things I forgot were worth more than I had thought and that brought my grade down a lot. I should have replaced my thesis statement with something that tired in a lot more. Instead of having it be like it could have been an entirely different papers thesis statement I think that if I would have had better revision from Mr. Markham I could have done better cause all he did was tell me to add citations and didn’t grade my content or my thesis statement. If my rough draft would have been revised better my final copy would have had more connections a better thesis statement and my glossary would have had my own worded definition I didn’t seem to understand that part I just thought that we needed to have the vocabulary and that was all. The hanging indent was stressed and I just forgot about it. Other than those all I had to do was maintain in the past tense and fix simple grammar errors.

33. Joey Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:09 am

I would defiantly say that the paper was as hard if not harder to write than I thought it was going to be. I don’t know if it was the fear of having to get it done or just the overall difficulty of the project, but I thought the paper was very hard to write. I think there was some parts of the final project that won’t even be this hard in high school. After I thought I did a good enough job on the project to turn it in a day early, it was a relief to turn it in and not see it for a while. I am happy about the job I did on it.

There is no way I would want to work on this project anymore what is done is done. Some nights I was up until like 11 working on it and that wasn’t even last minute cramming. I am glad this is done and now after all of that hard work on the project, I don’t even get to relax for the rest of the year now I need to worry about studying for the final!

34. Jessica Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:10 am

When I first heard about the research paper I was freaking out a bit. Once we started researching I realized how much time we got in class and how much information we could use to help us. Researching wasn’t that difficult at first but with my topic there was a lot of information. I wish that I had gotten less unimportant facts and more things that really mattered. The amount off research Mr. Markham and Mr. Stewart had us do felt so unnecessary and annoying, but if you use all the resources and time given your paper will be so much easier to write. The paper was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be, I thought I was going to do but it was actually pretty easy. As we were nearing the end of our writing time, I felt rushed. I didn’t use the time given in class as effectively as I should have. I ended up doing a lot of work at home which resulted in having so much more pressure on me than necessary. Another thing I wish that I had done was have a few more people read over and edit my paper. The research paper was definitely not fun but all my hard work paid off and I definitely got the grade that I wanted.

35. jake hain Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:10 am

This paper was very nerve racking when I first heard about it. I thought how I was going to have to manage time and it would all work out. Over the course of this I became distracted with many things and tried to keep up but it was hard. Im thinking if I would of worked harder that it would have been easier, I chose to wait till the end the work hard and should of did a lot of research and planned ahead of what I was doing. This paper for me was rough, just because I slacked. I did do a lot of research which made it easy to write. I spent a lot of time just looking at topics but not writing them down and instead got off track and looked up unrelated topics and added them into the paper. This research paper was tough for me but if I could change it I would spend less time planning who I was going to ask to the dance and work on my topic at hand.

36. Kelsey Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:10 am

At first, I was completely and hopelessly overwhelmed by the thought of a research paper that I had to write all by myself. When we got the paper with the list of everything that must be included in our paper I became very nervous and freaked out by all the workload, but when you broke it down it got simpler. I think the hardest part for me was to just get started, because once you got in the rhythm you could just keep researching or writing or whatever you were doing. The research was scary to think of having 20+ note cards, but if you used all of the time in class like me, I didn’t have to do any research for homework. Using books as well as internet sites, was very helpful in getting the quantity and quality of good research that I needed. Once I started typing my rough draft, I was well prepared with all of the research, so it was extremely easy to write it. Even though the project seemed impossible and a lot of work at first, once you broke it down, it really wasn’t as scary as you thought when initially looking at it.
    One thing that I wish I could’ve done differently is to double check my final paper for the little mistakes that we all sometimes make. For example, I forgot to put my glossary in alphabetical order. Also, I completely forgot a paragraph to help explain my primary source. These mistakes were nothing huge, but could’ve made my paper and grade a whole lot better. In addition to checking for mistakes, I wish I had made my paper more clear and narrowed the topic a bit. Since my topic was so general, it was harder for me to cover all the topics necessary to help explain it. Due to this, I had a lot of information that was somewhat out of place in my paragraphs and my paper became less clear. I could’ve improved this by taking more time when writing it and to cut out everything that didn’t support my main idea. Overall, I should’ve organized my writing better and perfect little details for my research paper.

37. Matthew Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:12 am

Research papers are like Band-Aid©, it’s better to get them done quickly than to procrastinate. Overall the research paper was much easier than I expected it to be. The teachers gave you plenty of time to work on it in class, and helped you with any and all questions you have. For me the biggest challenge of doing the research paper was just getting started on it. Overall it was incredibly easy to get done, even if it did take some extra time. If I had one word of advice it would be to use the class time, at home you have video games, but at school you hardly have anything better to do than write a research paper, not that I’m saying the video games are better than research papers…. ; ). Anyways as long as you work hard and use the time you have this paper will be easy as cake. If there is one this I would’ve done better it would be spending a bit more time just looking it over and fixing the stupid mistakes, like not alphabetizing your glossary, or other simple fixes. I know I’ve said this repeatedly, but as long as you use the class time and seek your teachers help, you’ll be perfectly fine.

38. Josie Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:13 am

This paper was made out to be THE MOST stressful thing I was EVER going to do. This was a LIE. You don’t need to be stressed about something that you can get done in a couple of days. The due dates where a bit frustrating because you either had everything done or nothing at all. I suggest getting EVERYTHING done early. I know that sounds impossible but it’s really not. At first I wanted to kill my teachers with all the stuff they were telling us to do, but when I learned that I didn’t have to listen to them when they told me to do something I was already ahead of the game. I went home and made notecards the day we were assigned them and also wrote half my rough draft. Impressive, no? Well it took a lot of effort but I would finish things the day before they were assigned and then the time we had in class I would finish the next thing on the list. Was it somewhat hard? Yes. Survivable if you manage your time? Defiantly! I’m alive and okay so, I don’t think it was too bad.
    If I could do it all over again, well, I wouldn’t! Once is enough for me, thank you. To take off some of the stress, I would have worked with my time in class more and not go home that night wondering why I only had two of my seven sources. I wouldn’t talk, wouldn’t dilly dally and would work my buns off just to get ahead even more. All in all, the paper wasn’t TOO hard. I could do it… So can YOU!!

39. Tyson Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:13 am

1.Honestly I didn’t think the paper was hard it was a little bumpy at times because you can run out of words to say or like can’t find another good source that you think is good and the revision part of the paper was a little annoying because you thought you did really good but then the teacher gets you on the littlest mistake and a little punctuation error and also with the student feedback some students where very rude when they where grading mine and just put some nasty comments on my paper.

2. I would have definitely started earlier on the rough draft and the final cause the rough draft was a little hard because you don’t have the brain juices flowing at first and then with the final draft you want to get it in early so you don’t have to stress about it before the day its due and I would have worked on it more if I got the chance.

40. Kayla Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:13 am

1. The research paper was surprisingly not as difficult as I thought it would be, leading up to getting started on it I was really dreading it. When I started doing the research on my topic which was William T. Sherman and his march to the sea, I really enjoyed learning about it. I think the key to doing well on this and enjoying it is to choose a good topic, then you will enjoy actually doing the work and research and it won’t be such a burden. When you get the huge packet, it looks extremely intimidating, but when you get started it really isn’t that hard.
    2. If I had a chance to do my paper all over again I think I would probably have spent more time editing, and having my peers edit just so I could make it the best it could be. I only had a couple people edit mine and I think that was a mistake. I think another thing I would have done better was really connecting all the information together. I think some of my topics in my paper people kind of just would read and ask” why this is really in here?” I needed to do a better job at clarifying all my points. A good tip would be to really clarify your thesis question in your introduction so people could have a better idea what exactly the point is you are trying to get at.

Overall I actually didn’t completely hate doing this research paper. I got to learn a lot about a really cool topic, and I am sure I will always remember the information I learned. Doing this research paper may seem extremely intimidating, but don’t worry it isn’t as hard as it looks.

41. Madelena Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:14 am

1.The research paper was not hard but at the beginning I though it would be. Our teaches gave us so much time to work on it that at the end you weren’t overwhelmed or tiered. They also supported you and helped you with any questions that you may have had. The assignment gave you great and interesting topics to do research on; some were very famous and others you’ve never heard of. I would recommend that you chose a subject that you don’t know as much because it’s good learning new things. As a conclusion this project was not difficult, it was just a new learning experience.
    2. If I had the chance to do this project all over I would change some things. One thing that I would change is the total research I did. For this project I got enough research but if I had did more research it wouldn’t hurt it could only help. The second thing that I would change is getting more people to read my paper. If more people read and revise your paper you have more corrections to do. This might not be what you want but it will help get a higher score on your paper. The last thing that I would change is my organization. Next time I would have to separate my research with the actual paper. This helps because you would know where everything is and where you can accesses it if you need it. These three things are things that I should have considered before even writing my research paper.

42. Alyssa Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:14 am

1)the overall like 3 to 5 pages kind of scared me a bit and the fact that we had to have so many elements to it was overwhelming and the fact that it was 200 points and if you didn’t do it or didn’t do well you failed two classes but it was overall pretty easy and the papers probably the hardest part and if you do a little every day you can finish it in no time and really if you work hard and have a lot of good info and turn the paper in on time you really cant fail.

2)I struggled with finding enough facts to fill up 20 note cards and getting enough info so I’m not constantly repeating myself which I did some times so if I could have done anything different I would have took some more time that first week and gotten more research done.

43. Danis, Blake Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:15 am

1. The paper was not as hard as I thought it would be when Mr. Stewart assigned it to the class. At first I did not want to do the notes on the note cards because I thought it would take longer and be inefficient. Although when I finished all my cards I found that it made writing the paper much easier than I thought it would. The other shocker was the length requirement because I thought I could never write a three page minimum research paper until I started to type, I finished two pages and was only half done. It was not hard at all to meet the length requirement. Overall the paper seemed like it would be a stressful process and hard to complete but in the end it was not as bad as I thought.
    2. If I had the chance to do it all over again and change something I wouldn’t do anything different. It all worked out very well and I was very happy with the grade I received. The paper actually ended up being fun, because we got to learn and write about a topic that appealed to use. I really did enjoy the experience, not only because of the topic but the skills I learned that I can take with me to high school.

44. Jake R. Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:16 am

The research paper in Mr. Stewart’s class was definitely a big deal at first. Hearing about all that we had to do and when they were all due was pretty overwhelming. I thought the paper was going to be one of the hardest assignments of the year but it really wasn’t. After getting done with the paper and looking back on how it was, I really think the teachers gave us too much time on it. Things as simple as the spoke diagram, note cards, and dissected bibliography had due dates that were at least a week from each other. On top of a long time to work, we were given a ton of time in class to work as well. A lot of times I even found myself with free time in class to take a brake. It also allowed me to have less homework at home. I also think the topics we had to choose from were good and exiting so we actually had motivation to write. The topics weren’t hard either. I did my paper on John Wilkes Booth and there was always enough research to do on the computer, books, or pictures. If I had the chance to do it again, I would use my research better to make it tie back to my thesis statement. That was pretty much the only thing that docked my grade and made it go down like five points. All in all I am happy with my A and also happy that I didn’t have to go through to much to get it.

45. Hannah D. Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:18 am

This paper was pretty difficult. I wouldn’t say that it was easier than I thought it would be, and I wouldn’t say it was harder. The paper took about the same difficulty that I thought it would be. At first, the 20 note cards of notes took forever and were time devoting. I actually got kind of stressed out when I was getting close to 20 because I chose a harder subject to do a research paper on. My subject was the Gettysburg Address and there wasn’t much information on this subject so it was harder to find good information for my notes. The paper itself was also kind of difficult for how much notes I was able to find.
    If I had a chance to do it all over again I would first choose a different subject to write about. This subject would have lots of information that is easy to write about. I would also try to fit more detail in my body paragraphs. I tried really hard on my paper but I guess it was just not good enough.

46. Auddie Beth Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:20 am

The paper was not as hard as I thought it would be before when Mr. Stewart said we had to do a research paper and chose a topic and write a five page paper about just that topic, my heart sunk I thought to my self how on earth could I write about one topic and have a five page paper but when it came down to it wasn’t so bad after all. The teachers give you so much time to work on it they almost give you to much time and it really comes down to how you work in class and it you really want to get a good solid grade then you really need to use the time that is given to you and not waste it just because your friends are playing like temple run and draw something you really need to take it seriously. Like of you bomb this paper you are gana have a really really bad grade in both L.A and Social studies for the whole semester and all the other work that you do in class will not even count if you bomb this research paper it counts for so much!

I defiantly think that this research paper really tested me and I learned new things about myself in the process. I learned that if I work as hard as I can and try really hard then I can do great things at first, when I just started the research paper I thought I was going to take about the Pottawatomie Indians and not the Pottawatomie massacre. Because why I really wanted to do it is because I am Pottawatomie Indian and this topic would be easy for me but I had it all wrong till I did more research and found out it wasn’t about the Indians. If I had to do it all over again then I would have took more time on the like table of contents and glossary and work cited page

47. Saxon Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:21 am

The Research paper isn’t as bad as it may sound; I actually found it to be really easy. When you first get it you feel a little overwhelmed, I did and I thought that there was no way that I could ever get this finished especially with my busy schedule. However I was proven wrong, our teachers give us so much time to work on it in class, we were given class time to work on these papers up until they were due. The check-ins also helped me greatly because they told me right about where I needed to be. If I could do that paper all over again I would probably spend more time on revising my paper and getting more feed back from teachers and students. Overall if you chose a topic you like and that interests you, you won’t mind doing the research and putting together the paper, and if you put the paper off until the very last minute you will be a mess trying to put it together. So don’t procrastinate!!!!! If you do you will be sorry. Just get the paper done and it will be one less thing to do, and that will be nice because at the end of the year you will be busy.

48. Alexa Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:21 am

Was the research paper as difficult as I thought it would be? Yes, it was pretty close to my expectations. I knew it would take a lot of work to finally finish the paper, and get a good grade for that matter; and it did. But now that I’ve been through the long process of research and composing the paper, I have more experience for future assignments. I now know about how long the process takes and what to expect, as well as a few good work habits. If I had the chance to completely start over and re-do the paper process, I would take it. This way I could improve my paper before turning it in, but I would also know how long it would tale to write the paper so I could have started sooner. If I could change one thing when writing the paper, it would be my procrastination. I’ll admit that I put off the research cards until the last few days, I put off the rough draft until the last few days, and I didn’t edit for my final early enough to really make a huge difference from my first draft. I told myself from the beginning that I wouldn’t put things off and that I would just get them done early on; but I didn’t follow through. For future students, I highly suggest that they use the time they’re given in class and work on the paper a little each day so they don’t end up tired the next day from staying up a few hours past midnight.

49. HadleighAnn Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:22 am

When I first got the packet about the research paper, I was worried about completing a paper with a large amount of extras to it such as glossary and a works cited page and I was also worried about the length it had to be. When I started the research I realized how tricky it could be when it came to finding accurate information about my topic. Luckily the LMC webpage provides great data bases where I found a lot of the information for my research paper. Once you learn the jist of the paper and really start to understand the concept it slowly becomes easier! Surprisingly it was much easier then I thought it would be! The overall process goes very quickly and smoothly thanks to the great amount of time the teachers give us. The first week was mainly finding information which to me was the most difficult part because you have to make sure it’s accurate! Over the research paper was a terrific experience that prepares you for many things and once your done it’s a great since of relief!
    If I had the chance to re-do my paper I would take more time double checking that my information is correct! I would look at multiple cites to make sure I wasn’t getting someone’s name wrong or an incorrect date. I also would make my work cited page longer which would mean more research! My paper had A LOT of facts so creating smooth transitions and blending the facts in with the paper is also something I would do! This paper was a great opportunity so if I could do it again I would make the most out of it!

50. Julia Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:24 am

A research paper worth 100 points may seem intimidating especially for those who are more of the right brained type, but this paper wasn’t nearly as hard as it may seem so, please don’t stress out about it the same way I did. Knowing the fact that I’m a professional procrastinator I thought for sure I was going to have to pull a few all nighters (which by know I was used to) just to get this research paper done. But I thought about it and I wrote all the dates down in my planer and stayed as ahead as possible by rationing out the work over the time. I had also planed to be ready to turn in work the day before the due date. I also had help from my mom who wrote down all the dates on her calendar, and telling me when something was due a day be for it was due to make sure I had everything I needed. If I did it again I probably would have stayed more on topic instead of branching out as much as I did. I would also like to have more adults like my parents or teachers to read it and edit it to highlight the mistakes I had made. I really should have looked it over more. Have an enjoyable time researching! This is the beginning of the end of easy essays.

51. Kaeli Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:24 am

The research paper was both easier and harder than I though it would be, if that makes sense. Something I struggled with was inserting my sources in my paper. I had a harder time formatting my sources into my paper instead of just putting together a bibliography than I imagined I would. However, even if I did have some trouble, I am glad that I was able to learn and have a hard time with it now because in the future I can create some AWESOME papers when I really need to! But, I did have an easier time putting my own thoughts towards my subject than I had anticipated. I had a stereotypical thought that these papers were just straight facts and there could be no opinion or input on the matter whatsoever. I am happy to say that I was wrong. In a strange perspective, I actually enjoyed this research paper much more than believed I would!

If I could change the way I approached the research paper I would. Honestly, I am a big time procrastinator which does not ever benefit me especially with this kind of assignment. So my advice in regards of procrastination- DON’T DO IT! Space out your work and make goals. Do not ‘wing it,’ because you will, like me, end up with only twenty minutes of sleep that night, (honest). Also, ask Mr. Markham and Mr. Stewart to read and edit your paper more than once. I was not able to do this but I feel if I did I would be much more comfortable with my work and get legit feedback from someone. Overall, if you can’t or won’t do the first two I said then at least try to be positive about it and really embrace the topic. I learned tons about Spirituals during the time of the Civil War and their effects and I ended up really interested in it!

52. Emma Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:25 am

When Mr. Stewart first told us about the research paper project I freaked out. I thought that the paper would be that one project that ruined the grades I had worked so hard for. I was expecting a few weeks of long tedious, pointless work and then a mad dash to write an acceptable yet impersonal and boring paper the night before it was due. I thought that I would be disorganized and really just all over the place as I tried my best to keep the project from drowning me. But it turned out that the writing process was the exact opposite of what I was dreading. Having steps and check points every couple of weeks helped keep me organized and on track. I was able to plan my writing really well with the outline provided for us and then we were given time to peer edit and receive student comments in addition to the teacher’s. The project ended up being surprisingly easy and I was proud of my final product and actually excited to turn my paper in. But, as is to be expected, I also made a few mistakes along the way. One of the mistakes I made that ended up considerably complicating my writing process was that I didn’t form a clear thesis statement before I started my research. I gathered a ton of useless pieces of information that I never used in my paper which wasted a lot of my time. My only other piece of advice is to actually follow the steps the teachers will provide for you because they turn a monster of a research project into a manageable five page paper.

53. Shelby Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:26 am

The research paper was really hard! You might never get through it! Just kidding because when you have specific dates of when things are due, it’s a lot easier to get things done. If you work on your bibliography earlier in the process, it is a lot simpler to get it done when you are researching your topic. The process isn’t difficult at all because when you are doing all the bibliographies, glossary terms, and content at an early stage, it will all come together as one when it’s due. Don’t leave anything till the last minute because it’s really difficult to get anything right the night it is due. If you manage everything earlier, it comes out as an easy paper.
    The paper wasn’t at all difficult because we know how to write, we know how to research and we know how to take good notes. The better the notes are, the better the research paper will be because of all information you have. It is a lot better off having extra information then having little information on your topic. The most difficult thing in the whole paper was defiantly trying to get all the research I got into the paper. Of course I am not the best writer at things but I do know when it comes to writing the paper, all you need to do is figure out what you need to write about. It is a lot to handle but I think if you manage your time perfectly and do things earlier, the better off you are to getting this paper done.
    If I could do this all over, I would research a better topic and have a research question I could get a lot of information out of it. Its not too much of a pain to try and chose a good research question but it will be one if you slack off and not think of a good one. It is better to chose one right when you find your topic because you get time to think of all the questions you might have for the research question. Also choose one before you actually research because it’s easier. I believe, you soon to be 8th graders, that you can do this and finish it before it is due. It is a fun paper that you spend time with during school. You will survive, its not too bad. All you have to do is manage your time.

54. Nickolas Said,

May 14, 2012@ 11:58 am

The research paper pretty mu8ch lived up to my expectations. It was as difficult as I thouhgt it was goiong to be. But with the time we had been given it went it was really not otoo bad at all.

If I had to redo the whole process I would work on the paper almost every day than just the three days following up to it. I would reread the requirements so I knew exactly what was needed for the paper to be done correctly.All in all the paper was not as bad as it wil seem to be.

55. Elliot Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:00 pm

1: It took way more time than i was happy with. But it really wasn’t difficult.
    I thought it was going to be something where you will get a bad grade, but if you really try, you’ll still pass. That wasn’t the case.
    2: I would probably look for some more quotes. i didn’t really have any, and that was an area in which i felt i was lacking.

56. Kannon Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:00 pm

The research paper was so much easier than I thought that it would be. I saw how much there was to do at the start but the further we got in I realized that we had plenty of time to do everything needed for it. Something that I would suggest to incoming eighth graders is do not procrastinate, get everything done early because as the due date comes closer you won’t have to worry about as much as you would if you had waited. Also if you are going to goof off in class during time that you could be working on your report, don’t drag other people into it. Better yet just don’t goof off, if you do work in class and you work hard in class then you have no need to worry about doing much work at home.The research project looks like a lot of worik but if you just do it, it won’t be as hard as you thought it would.

57. Mitchell Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:01 pm

1. This research paper was a lot easyeir than I first thought. I really enjoyed this paper, and my advice for students comeing in doing this paper is to have fun with it cause its not a punishment. 2. If I could do this all over again I would use more qotes, and alfabatise more in my biblyography or glossary. I would also add another page or two.

58. Jenna Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:02 pm

The paper wasn’t as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I thought the paper was going to take me until the very end of the year to finish but it didn’t. I think the thing that made it seem really hard was the amount of content the paper had to have.

If I could do the research paper over again, I would stop myself from procrastinating. The paper would have taken me less time if I focused on it instead of doing other things.

59. Yale Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:03 pm

1. The paper was not as difficult as I thought it was. I had most of the information and knew how I was going to put it but wording it correctly was kind of hard. I noticed the longer I put off either the revision or the rough drafty the harder it was to type it up and change it.
    2. I would’ve had more information and not have put off typing it. Because I had to constantly look up more information the longer it put me behind. I also had hoped that I didn’t put off all the extra parts on it until the night before it was due.

60. Mollee Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:05 pm

The paper was not at all as difficult as I thought it was. I thought that it would be really challenging to write a 5 page paper about some subject that I didn’t know about that happened during the civil war. Once I had finished my research and had it all organized and put together it was actually pretty easy. I did do a little additional research during the start of my paper but besides that it was easy if you use your time right and don’t procrastinate.

If I had the chance to do the paper all over again I would change the way that I procrastinated a little bit and the way that I used my time in class. You are given a lot of class time to do research and to write the paper and if you use your time wisely then you will hardly have and homework to do. I wasted a lot of class time talking to all of my friends and wasting time when I could have been doing research and actually writing my paper. I also procrastinated a little bit which probably wasn’t a good idea either because I was up till 11 the night before the paper was due finishing it. But over all the paper wasn’t as difficult as I thought it was.

61. Alicia Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:05 pm

I feel like when we were first introduced to the essay you feel scared and you think its going to be very difficult.But after all this time working on it in class and at home, and having acess to information and acess to help made it easier then i thought. I think that our teachers made it so easy to get our essay done because they gave us acess to several important supplys and they did check-ups that helped me get things done and get them turned in.
    But everyones essat wasnt perfect and you cant make anything reall perfect but if i had the chance to edit one thing from my essay i would probally work more on going over my essay and making sure all my information was correct.So that i wouldnt give anyone that reads my essay the wrong information.But other then that i think i tried my best.

62. Murrell, Adrian Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:06 pm

1: I was completely overwhelmed by the thought of a research paper that I had to write all by myself, but then i started typing it and i blew through all the pages, overall i’d say it was quite easy
    2: AT FIRST was just taking information right out of a book and putting it into my paper. The peer editing proces was a little weird and I would have done it a little more independently or even more diligently

63. Jacob Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:07 pm

The paper wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be I thought it would take more time and be harder. On paper at the beginning I thought this paper looked really hard but since we had so much time in class to work on it, it wasn’t that hard at all. I thought that the research paper would be much harder to find information and put it into a paper.

If I could go back and do it over again I would do that same thing except I would plan out the paragraphs then I would do my research so I knew what I would be looking for. I also would have spent more time looking over that whole report and not just the paper.

64. Charity Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:07 pm

1. Originally I thought that the research paper was going to be extremely difficult but the more it was broken down into smaller parts, the easier it got. I thought that it was going to be ten tons of work that would take forever to do but it turned out to be just little things that could mostly be done in class and a few things that had to be done at home.
    2. If I could redo this project I think that I would spend more time getting information because I feel like I could’ve had more information and if I had that information I could’ve written a better paper. Also, I’d spend more time organizing and editing my paper because I feel like there are some places where the paper would’ve been a lot better if I had just spent some extra time on it.

65. Dane Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:08 pm

1. The paper was slightly easier than I thought it would be. The only reason it seemed hard was because of all the requirements needed to complete it. You should get all your information from your notes to complete these requirements. But over all it was pretty easy as long as you have all the notes.

2. If I had the chance to do it all over again I would make lots of changes and improve on my vocabulary and everything else that I could have. I would also explain it better and have more examples than facts so people would enjoy reading my paper without getting bored.

66. Jonathan Ruscio Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:08 pm

1) the paper was really easy than i thought it would be. i did not even get stressed out!! not even once!

2)what i would do differently is that i would do a lot more research. so that i could have more to explain. so that is what i would do differently.

67. Kurt Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:09 pm

1. The research paper was very intimidating when it was first assigned to us. I thought it would be very hard and take up too much of my time. When our class started out of working on the assignment, I felt the intimidation start to go away. We were slowly completing the paper, which I thought was the best way to approach it. Overall, I think the research paper was not as difficult as I first thought it would be. If you use your time wisely in class, like you should, then you should have no problems and working and the paper will be quite easy.

2. I personally put a lot of time into this paper, so I don’t have much that I would change. However there are two things I would change if I had the chance. My first research question was the main revolving point around all of my research. When I learned I had to change my research question later on, only some of my information was useful in my paper. I would have asked Mr. Markham or Mr. Stewart if my topic was decent while we were researching. Another mistake I did was with the glossary. I accidentally did not alphabetize the words. I will not make any excuses but I would have made notes in my packet about alphabetizing so I could have made that change.

68. Cole Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:10 pm

This research paper was a lot easier then i expected. We were given alot of time to work on it both in class and outside of it. this made the paper alot easier because we had time to check over it multiple times.

If I could redo this paper I would make sure to start sooner on things. I tended to wait untill the last minute to start typing my rough draft & final draft. If I had started sooner I feel like I would have done better at it.

69. Chase Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:11 pm

At first i thought the paper was going to be the hardest thing we had to do all year. But doing it steps made it 100 times easier. We did research, a rouph draft, then we revised and than we did our final. That made it seam simple but still lot of work.
    I would have chaged the way i researched n probably have more poeple edit my paper. this way i have more to write about and more to go off of when i revise my paper.

70. Daniel S. Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:11 pm

1.) Before we had started the note-taking process of the research paper, I thought it was going to be REALLY HARD but Mr. Stewart taught us how to organize our notes. The way he told us to do it was much easier than I thought it would be.
    2.) If I were to go back in time, in a time machine car, I would indirectly tell myself to get of my Playstation 3 and go take more notes so I can do a much better job on my essay.

71. Eli Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:11 pm

Was the paper as hard as you thought it would be? For me, no. I honostly thought that the paper was going to be a pain in the butt. I really thought that I would be completlely stressed out and would get a bad grade. But it was (not sayimg it was easy) not that tough, from day to about day 3 I was nervous and was had no idea what was going to happen. But once you get the research part of it done, it is really not that bad. The research was pretty stressful and it seems like you wont get all of it done.
    If you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do differently to be even more successful? My research part of it I thought I could have done better. I was a little slow and the pace of my work was just not that great. You can tell if my research was getting better though. once i got the hang of it I thought it was pretty easy and I wouldnt have as much of a problem. I also could have ahd more research itself. My research was to bland and did not have enough research to it by itself. I needed more imformation from different sites.

72. josh Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:12 pm

Since it was going to be a 100 point grade, and 3-5 pages long, i was extreamly intimidated at first, but after all said and done it was not bad at all

After looking back on the proces of making the paper, i wish i had used my time in class more wisely

73. Sidney Gary Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:14 pm

I thought that it was going to be very hard but in the end it was quite easy to do. At first I thought that it would be hard to right a 3 to 5 page essay on a topic that I knew much about but not a lot about. It’s super easy because the teachers give you time in class to work on the research and anything else you might need help on. In the end it was not as hard as I thought it would be at first.
    If I could do it all over again I would take a little more time to type it up then typing it up 2 days before it was do. Also I would have not wasted time in class when we were able to do research. And the thing that I would have changed the most on was my effort. I could have put a little more effort into my paper.

74. Audrey Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:15 pm

I believe that the paper was as difficult as I thought it would be, but it could have been much easier had I managed my time right. If I could have the chance to do it all over again I would use my time more wisely during the research part of the project. I really wasted my time and didn’t get any research done. Also even with my 20 note cards I still didn’t have enough research to truly write my final draft without having to look things up. Also I procrastinated a lot! Next time I would definitely set due dates for myself in addition to the due dates that the teachers give me and take them very seriously. This way I would be more successful.

75. Kenneth Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:18 pm

1Yes and no, yes bacause it was a little hard to find the research we were looking for so that took a while, no because once we got the research done it didn’t take long to put it all together. The hardest part of the research paper was starting it. You had to get all your data first and if you didn’t get them finished you just lost ten points’ right there. Also if you don’t get the cards done you just skipped a paragraph for your paper.

2.If I could go back and change my paper, I would change the cover page to make it better. Put better words down in the glossary. I would change my paragraph outline.

76. Jake S Said,

May 14, 2012@ 12:23 pm

Yes I believe that the paper was as hard as I thought it was going to be. I’ve always had trouble concentrating on projects or papers. I got very distracted and talked to my friends which didn’t help me at all!!!! It was also hard to find information on my subject, Battlefield Medicine. Once I found a site that had lots of information, I found all of it very informing and very interesting.

If I could go back and redo the paper, I would have added pictures and more quotes. I would also have changed my subject because it was very hard to find primary sources and secondary sources. Finding actual pictures of old surgery tools that the surgeons used in the Civil War was very difficult because I had to check and make sure they were authentic and real.

77. McKelvy, David Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:27 pm

1.When I first started my research paper i thought it would be hard.Then later on i did more and more research and it became alot easier.Then i add it all together to put it altogether i was done.

2.If i could redo it i would add more quotes.Then i would have also put in more facts about the battle and the strategies of how they won the battle.

78. Kenadie Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:29 pm

When I first learned about the research paper, I was extremely nervous. It seemed like there were so many expectations for the paper and I felt like I couldn’t do it AND get a passing grade. After the fear settled in, I became aware of how easy this could be with the help of our teachers. They help alot, and they break everything down for you with reminders of upcoming due dates.

If I could redo the paper, I would have found a better topic. While I found good sites about Safe Houses of the Underground Railroad, I found it to be a rather boring topic and the only thing that interested me were the pictures. I suggest finding a topic you are strongly interested in, as it will help you write the paper. I would also have done actual research on research days, while it is tempting to talk to your friends and play on the laptops..IT ISN’TT WORTH IT. Instead of using the time given I went home and did all my research.

79. Somerville, Nadia Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:30 pm

I think when i first heard about theresearch paper i thought it was going to be really hard and stressful.Then when i got to the middle of almost being done i thought it was really esy becuase i was finding great information and everything was going great.What i would do differently is read more in the books instead of on the web.I would also try to add more information in the process of writing it instead of having the same information in the research paper.

80. Joel Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:33 pm

At first I was extremely stressed out about the paper, later into the paper I knew I could accomplish the paper and i did. If I would have redone the paper and would have spent less time doing graffiti and just have done work in class. Also I would have to enjoy getting more resources instead of half my info based on one website. Class time was very distracting and it was hard to get work done. I wish I was a little more determined and less goofing off. Over all the paper was not that bad.

81. Alfonso Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:34 pm

the paper was not as hard as i thought it be but if i had to it all over again i would do it because now that i under stand the paper i can do it beetter than before because i have a better under standing of the paper and i know what i am doing so i would more pictures and qoutes soi could have done better and if i had to it again i would becuase i would have a better understanding of what i am suppost to do in the paper and it would have turned out better then it did

82. Jordan Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:36 pm

1.) When I first heard about the paper, I was really sweating it. I felt like it would be an extremely hard paper to write. However, I was given great help from Mr. Markham and Mr. Stewart which made it much easier to do. I also picked a topic that I have high interest to, so I was able to slide through it while learning about something I enjoy.
    2.) If I were to do this assignment turned in again, I would turn in more things on time. In the beginning of this assignment, I didn’t turn in my intro letter or dissected bibliography. I also was un-able to complete my 20 note cards in time. It wasn’t too hard to do those things; I just slacked off on them. Because of that, my grade will drop on this and it could mean the difference between an A or a B.

83. Cassidy Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:36 pm

I honestly thought it would be way worse but in the end I actually enjoyed being able to lay back and do a research paper over a long period of time I think you guys gave us the right amount of time because I had allot of time left over like almost a week to revise and fix up my rough draft and I think it came out very well and I’m proud of it. I don’t think this was hard a t all I think is was good practice for us because we will have to do this kind of stuff in high school all the time. I had no problem doing my research paper I noticed allot of people didn’t use there time wisely and I wouldn’t want to be them because they had to do all of there stuff in like one day.

84. D'yonna Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:36 pm

1) I would say that the paper had some challenges that could be hard, like staying on your topic or just not finding the right type of information you need for your topic. For me, the most that I struggled with was inserting information that had little to do with my paper, or not quite managing my time wisely, but not only that but also getting distracted in class. My greatest challenge though was having a week of time taken from my project and having it due the day I came back to school, but still I came up with a great paper (If I do say so myself). Though some of the work was challenging, some of it wasn’t. For example when I got the information I needed for a great paper, it was easy putting all the facts together and just seeing the whole paper come together in the end. I’d say that even though a lot of parts of the paper was challenging, the whole thing turned out to be easier than I thought.

2) If I had the chance to do my paper over, I would manage my time better and work my schedule around my research paper, because having the class time to work on my paper would help me manage my research paper, instead of being distracted and messing around with the others around me. I’d take advantage of every single opportunity I would have to work on different parts of my paper. Not only that but I’d also do what I could to have more than enough feedback and try to see what I should consider adding to or taking away from my paper. Having a redo on the research paper would give me the opportunity to have a better paper because of all the extra time to spend on it and make a better grade. So this is what I would do over for my paper.

85. Dylon Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:37 pm

1.the research paper looked like it would be so super hard but when i got to doing it it wasnt that bad.the research was easy all you had to do is look at books or look online to find research to put in your paper. if you got good research there was no difficulty with writing the paper it was a blast.
    2. if i had the chance to redo this whole entire research paper i would change a couple of my study habbits. managing my time was really hard you cant procrastinate and wait do it early and get it done earlier the easier it is. i would of always stayed ahead of the game if i could redo this paper because if you fall behind on the paper it is really hard to catch back and get back on track. mostly i would of stayed on track and make sure you have everything on the due date stay organized!

86. Ashley Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:38 pm

Yes at first I did think this paper was going to be very hard. I thought this because when they first load all of this on to you, you don’t know what to expect. They say its only 200 points no big deal but it does seem like a big deal. Once they start letting you work on your paper in class by letting you find your research and everything it starts getting way easier. It’s just like a, In School Project because they give you so much time to work on it in class like Social Studies and Language Arts.

If I had the chance to do my paper over again, I wouldn’t really change a thing except making my paper just too where it reaches 4 pages. I think I did very well with using my time wisely in classes because that is what you need too do when you want no homework over the weekend, and I did very well getting it done with me playing sports and everything. My schedule was pretty busy which meant that I had to use my time very wisely in class and guess what, my paper turned out pretty well.

87. Cayla Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:38 pm

At the beginning when we first got our research paper prompt I thought it was going to be really difficult. Although when I started to research and get all of the information gathered it started to become easier and easier. Once I got all of my information ready and started to type the rough draft this project was not at all like I expected, it was actually a breeze. I found out I was worrying for nothing. I also found out that staying organized and staying on track made this project way easier.

IF I had a chance to redo something I did with this project I would probably not wait as long to start to write my rough draft. I would have probably found out information on one of the body paragraphs, and then write that paragraph. I feel like that would have been easier,that way I wouldn’t get writers block while trying to type it all at once. This would have probably made it so I would know what other information i needed to find out. This is just one thing I would have changed. Although if I did this I would have probably writen an even better paper.

• Ashley Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:40 pm

Very nice Cayla i understand your explanation very well!!:):)

• Cayla Said,

HEY ELENA

• Elena Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:51 pm

was cracking girrlll

88. Tony Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:48 pm

First of all, yes I thought the paper was as hard as I thought it would be. To me the paper was a bit difficult because I didn’t always use my time wisely in class. But the only hard part about the whole thing was trying to put the research that I found into my own words when I was planning on saying the same exact same thing. Secondly, if I had it to do all over again, I would make sure that I actually did some work in class. I did do some work at school, but it would be a lot easier if I did most of it in class, because like most of the kids that I know have busy schedules after school, therefore I didn’t have a lot of time to do it at my house. I struggled with the research paper, but I had lots of fun doing it and I learned a bunch as well.

• Kenadie Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:52 pm

i”m right there with ya Tony. I didn’t do any research in class, and it would have been much easier if I had actually worked.

89. Elena Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:49 pm

FUTURE 8TH GRADERS-NO PROCRASTINATION
    When i heard about the paper i was super scared at first. But once i compleated the 20 notecards i felt my paper come together. you should have really great notecards because when you do you wont stress about what you will write about exactly. I had such great notecards that it only took me a half an hour to type up my final becaus i knew exactly what my paper was going to be about based on my notes. If i could change anything i wouldnt have waited to the last night to finnish my notecards. procrastination was my enemy in the paper project!

SO PLEASE DONT PROCRASTINATE

good luck!

90. Brandon Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:50 pm

The research paper wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. If you do the work and the research in the time you have, it’s not hard to do. If I had the chance to do this all over again, I would do the work in class instead of procrastinating and doing it at home. Something people have problems with is that they don’t do their note cards. The note cards are all the source of your research.

91. Mary-Anne Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:52 pm

Doing my research paper was a struggle at first, and i thought it was so hard and to much. But once i finished my rough draft and final research paper i felt accomplished, and I thought it was easier than what i first thought it would have been. The only thing i thought was hard is the time i had with all the work i needed to complete. I wasted a lot of my time talking to people and spending more time on Facebook. If i had more information on the topic i had i think doing my research paper would be easier and i would have finished it early.

92. Rees, Mikayla Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:53 pm

1. At first, the research paper seemed really hard, with all that our teachers were saying we needed to include, but looking back now, it wasn’t that hard. It all happened pretty fast. Doing the research was probably the easiest. it took the longest amount of time, but was really easy.
    2. If i could redo my research paper, i would use my time more wisely in class, meaning i wouldnt get distracted. I would also work more at home and use more primary sources.

93. Kammi Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:53 pm

i thought the reaserch paper was going to be super hard at first and was going to make me stressed out. when i got home i went on my computer and started reaserching frederick douglass and i thought is biography was so interesting i couldnt stop reading about him. Then i started taking notes on note cards and i got so much info my paper was super easy to write. But i didnt think my 1st paper was good enough so i wrote my paper over again and it was so much better. I was so proud of my reaserch paper and thats beacuse fredericks story was so awesome how he escaped slavery and i just couldnt stop reading about it. So future 8th graders i hope you find frederick douglass’s biography as interesting as i did and i hope you have fun with it too. It was super easy and i am going to try to find a person to in my next reaserch paper as interesting as fredericks maybe better.

94. Garrett Said,

May 14, 2012@ 1:56 pm

1. Was the paper as difficult as you thought it would be?

1.) It was very scary and overwelming at first, but I quickly learned that if you look at each section of the “mega” research paper as a short homework asssignment then it turns out to be not as bad as you first thought. Just don’t get overwelmed, and stay on top of things. Always stay organized and keep your things seperate and easy.

2.) If I could do one thing different I would have done it during the day. I knew I had plans on Wednesday, but I waited till 8 at night anyways. So I wound up with misspelled words and other things on my paper that took forever to fix on my final copy. I could have saved alot of time if I did it during the day.

95. Sydnie Said,

May 14, 2012@ 9:52 pm

1. When I first heard about the reasearch I was really nervous because I thought it would be very difficult and i wouldnt get a passing grade. After I got the packet and dicided what I was going to do and started my reasearch it wasnt so hard as I thought it would be. The easiest think to do to help keep your reasearch paper on track is to keep everything orginized. Its also easy when you look up the reasearch in the order the evnts happend so it makes alot more since. Its alot easier if you dont get overwelmed, just breath relax and take your time on the reasearch. Also pick a topic that you know alittle about or that you are interested in.

2. If I could do this reasearch paper over again I would put alot more time into it. I worked in class as much as I could and when I got home I wold just wait till last minute so I had lots of mistakes throught my paper. I also would have got more info on the diffrent events and not on only one thing. I would have put more focus into the reaseach paper and tryed to do more reasearch in class on the reaserch day. When I got the packet I was like this would be quick and easy but after the long night working on it I finally decided im going to sit down right after school and finish it so it sounds better and so I dont have to stay up half the night trying to finish the reaserch thats due the next day. So dont wait to do your reasearch at 8 at night or you will be up for half of the night doing reasearch and make lots of mistakes, and take your time and breath its actually not that hard.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI